[Gllug] Linux gripes help!!

Branden Faulls omphe at keiko.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 21:02:32 UTC 2003

David Myers wrote:

> 1) I use a palm pilot, a Vx to be precise! and would love to be able to
> ditch windows and hotsync to my linux desktop. anyone else got one to
> work??

I use J-Pilot for all my gui palm needs.  It has a decent interface that
clones the Palm desktop fairly well.  It's a bit uglier, but
functionally similar.

  For installation and more complex needs I suggest you pick up
pilot-tools, a command line suite that'll do most anything you like.
I've written a few scripts to automagically gather all the TV or weather
listings into a *.pdb .  These use pilot-tools.

> 3) as well as using nestcape (I don't know what version, probably 4.x),
> I also use their composer for mail and newsgroups, what other choices do
> I have that have a "similar" look and feel but greater funcionality - i
> seem unable to set the preferences to auto delete some of the messages
> that i would like it to! or filter other stuff to the correct places, am
> I missing something or is it a netscpe thing!?

If you like Nutscrape Navigator, then just go directly to Mozilla, do
not pass go, do not collect 200 packages.  Good look and feel,
completely integrated mail, news, browser environment, and totally
standards compliant. This is good for new users of Linux as it removes
the need to set up sendmail/exim/postfix/etc for mail purposes.  Very
big app, so not for the low resource box. Provides all the usual,
simple, filtering.

Branden

--
|Branden Faulls                         |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk