[Gllug] Freeserve Anytime with Linux?

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Sat Mar 15 00:21:46 UTC 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 12:26:18AM +0800, Hong Chyr wrote:
> Does anyone tried using the Freeserve Anytime service with Linux? I've
> tried their helpdesk email, and the replies seemed pretty braindead to
> me. They don't answer direct questions and seem to just brush the notion
> of Linux away.

It works. Without digging around to see if I have my connection scripts
for it I can't tell you offhand if it's CHAP or PAP, but you shouldn't
have any more trouble with it than any other mainstream UK ISP.
http://www.sweeney.demon.co.uk/ISP_FAQ.htm seems to claim it's CHAP.

One word of warning: if (when) you want to cancel your account, they stop
it the day you call them up - you can't say "hi, please stop it after this
pay period is over".

Most UK ISPs will work with linux. The only notable exception I'm aware of
is AOL. With most ISPs you can sign up for an account online and then
connect with standard scripts. Few will have support staff that know about
Linux, let alone whether their systems works with it. Your major problem
nowadays is probably crippled winmodems.

HTH

--
Stuart

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk