[Gllug] Stupid laws

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Tue May 6 14:57:09 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 1:59 pm, North London John wrote:

> I'm not familiar with this law, or the debate around it - could you
> post some links (pref. in English) either to the list or to me directly?

Sorry for the long link

An old article explaining the German law
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19990827/killing_games_printer.htm

I think this has now been made compulsory after Robert Steinhaeuser shot 16
people in a German school. The media at the time blamed it on his
CounterStrike playing.

Shortly afterwards in the US Joe Baca tried to introduce "The protect children
from Video game sex and violence act of 2002" but failed.
It is now reported he will try again this year.
http://www.house.gov/baca/107th/pr020503.htm

Following are German links I am afraid.
http://www.heise.de/ct/03/08/078/
http://www.heise.de/ct/03/10/018/
http://www.heise.de/ct/aktuell/data/jk-06.05.03-001/

Here you find the full text of the Jugendschutzgesetz (JuSchG):
http://www.kindex.de/html/material/juschg.html

Regards
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk