[Gllug] Nasty monitor - giveaway

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri May 16 19:09:50 UTC 2003

On Fri 16 May, Jim Bailey wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 06:22:29PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > speak of experience -- i didn't get a craft certificate in tv repairment
>
> I don't know if repairment is in the English language but I think it
> should be, great word. :)

   The problem now is that many components are difficult to obtain, and the
ones that are obviously dead are often not the cause of the problem.
   Electrolytic capacitors dry out and fail after a while, but it can be a
nearby large chip that gives out the smoke. Changing the chip does not
remove the problem, the new chip may well blow again immediately unless the
tiny capacitor is changed as well.
   Line output transformers do fail, and can be replaced, but the power
supply and EHT voltage should be checked to ensure they are still correct
and you will not get lots of X-rays from the picture tube. They are normally
set to only just below the minimum voltage for X-rays to enable maximum safe
brightness. This requires an accurate EHT meter, such as a very expensive
meter with suspended mirror and scale.
   Your local service shop may be able to fix the fault, but only at a price
which is not economical.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk