[Gllug] Question

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Mon May 19 18:44:49 UTC 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 02:07:25PM +0100, Ashley Evans wrote:
> > Another useful tip for working on kit is to kick off a reboot some time in
> > the future (3 minutes after you plan to finish making changes) so that when
> > you do lock yourself out you should only have to wait a few minutes for
> > your kit to reboot and come back online. Of course this is only useful on
> > kit that will allow you to cancel an already running shutdown...
>
> Or you you use '&&'s, they only execute the next statement if the first exits
> successfully.

Oh yes, they work. My method was acquired because of a co-orker who once gave a
firewall a new ruleset. He worked on pretty much the same principal, trouble
was that the command that locked him out of the box did exit successfully...

(fortunately for him the firewall was in the local server room and not a
distinct geographic location miles away)

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk