[Gllug] non-interactive passwd

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu May 8 21:57:59 UTC 2003

Stuart Sears wrote:

> On Thursday 08 May 2003 16:46, I thought I heard Mick Farmer say
> > Dear Murray,
> >
> > Linux has a command called useradd which can be used to set
> > passwords, etc.
> ah, but the -p switch will require the encrypted form of the password, if you
> are using shadow ( i have been caught out by this), but i suppose this is
> scriptable (I haven't tried).

It is and very useful it is too. I use it when I need to create a bunch
of IDs for the same team. I create one, set the password, paste the
resulting encrypted password into a script which creates them all with
-p and the same password, then tell them all to change them. As they are
the same team with the same access rights it's their problem if they
don't bother and their colleagues can access their accounts.

Linux passwd command to Solaris and especially AIX would be rather
problematic, as the exact format of the user database will vary. Don't
try this on a system which is required to work!

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk