[Gllug] [OT-ish] Identifying some old hardware

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Sat May 31 16:42:51 UTC 2003

Ahh those long ago days of scumming other people's cast-offs are coming
back to me in vivid colour.

Dylan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been turning through my cellar and found a few things I need help ID-ing:
>
> A) Serial card (I think) It doesn't turn up on the FCC database (not that
> that's too much use anyway) It has a 9-pin D male and 25-pin D female, and a
> UM82450 - hence I figure it's a serial card. Apart from the FCC ID the only

Sounds right on the money.

> number is D10-500 REV 6. Is it likely to work if I just drop it in an ISA
> slot, and find the appropriate module. There are two banks of 8 DIPswitches -
> I figure these are for setting the IRQ's - would I be right in that?

16 DIP switches is a lot; but there seem to be an interminable number of
options for old serial cards. I'd start by writing down the
configuration they start in; assume it's a standard configuration and
set kernel options appropriately - see if it just works. I'm not sure
how Linux goes at finding odd configurations. It is possible to
systematically fiddle, test, make note, fiddle, etc... It's
time-consuming; but I've done it when I had more time than money.

Hope this helps a little,

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk