[Gllug] re: disk spin-up/down

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 11:03:32 UTC 2003

I would endorse the view of keeping the discs running at all times.
We have had scsi discs running 24/7 for years without problems.

Every time a disc stops the heads have to land somewhere.
Every time they start electricity has to 'surge' through various components.

Think about light blubs - they always seem to blow when you switch them on !

Generally speaking, in the many years we have been running computers here,
keeping the things permanently running has paid dividends reliability-wise.
OK, we use a bit more electricity ....

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk