[Gllug] Libraries for writing OpenOffice .sxw files?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Nov 25 11:45:51 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:08:00AM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Essentially, I don't understand why you want a .swx/.doc format. I can't
> see any valid uses for that for a database driven document.

I think actually you have a very valid point here. Originally we
believed that .sxw files would be very easy to generate, and hence the
path of least resistance would be data -> .sxw -> .pdf. But it turns
out that not only are the documents harder to generate, but it's also
very hard to script OO to do anything useful (it's such a bloody
Windozey program).

Also we wanted to email clients .doc files, but emailing .pdf is
better.

I'll take a look at groff & tex.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
'There is a joke about American engineers and French engineers. The

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk