[Gllug] javascript - followup re Tet's post

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 17:03:37 UTC 2003

t.clarke wrote:
> The whole thrust of my question was directed to simply saving bandwidth by
> avoiding the browser having to submit obviously insufficient/invalid requests
> and the server having to reply.  Sorry, perhaps I should have made that clear
> in my original post.

I wouldn't worry about the bandwidth[0], I would be looking at the
useability of the site.  Personally I prefer to click submit and to have
a page come up gently indicating the fields I need to fill in, rather
than a pop-up message or something similar.  Others may say differently.
  If you are posting so much data that this is an inconvenience for the
user, maybe the javascript option is for you.  My original point (and
you have said that this is what you will do) was that you shouldn't rely
on javascript as the only verification mechanism.

Will.

[0]<troll>although bandwidth does seem to be much more expensive when
you read plain text email only, in a hand-cranked MUA</troll> ;)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk