[Gllug] Linux directory conventions

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Nov 10 15:07:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> Well, you just said "far better" and I think that does need qualifying.
> "Functionality" is also a broad term.  Configuration is also part of
> functionality and Sendmail is undeniably more configurable than Postfix.

For what?

For an Internet mail exchanger postfix has more if you are using version
2.

When I was setting up UKFSN (and UKPOST before that) I had a specific set
of features I wanted to offer, including unlimited real mailboxes under
each domain that would have common names - ie joe at example1.com and
joe at example2.com would be delivered to the joe mailbox in each domain.

Sendmail didn't (and still doesn't) support this. OK you can achieve this
with "clever" procmail recipies but then you have to put together far more
complex systems and if you want people to be able to login as
joe at example1.com to POP3 or IMAP to collect their mail you have more
complication.

Postfix on the other hand offered me virtual users with a simple map
lookup to determine all the details I want from a SQL backend. It fits
together really nicely with several good POP3 daemons and it's simple.

> If Postfix can't do something you want but Sendmail does, then Sendmail
> is better in that context.  Of course, for most people there is no such
> context.

In the context of an Internet mail exchanger what does sendmail offer than
Postfix doesn't?

I know about UUCP but otherwise?

BTW - UUCP can be handled by postfix with a custom transport agent which
could be written in perl if necessary.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month
                            + Free Activation on all ADSL services