[Gllug] Newcomer

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Nov 3 16:04:08 UTC 2003

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>Mandrake have already released over 400mb of patches and updates for
>their new release.  For as long as SuSe, Mandrake and Redhat play the
>"big version number" game, they basically won't be worth using.

Sigh. I can't comment about the other two, but as I've said many times
before, RH are not, and never have been playing the big number game.
Many years ago, they documented their version numbering strategy, and
have stuck to it ever since. Essentially they only increment the major
number when that release has binary incompatibilities with previous
releases.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk