[Gllug] Mail Clients dialing the Mail server constantly

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 18:59:25 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 18 Nov 2003 4:09 pm, wendy carr wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have a problem in one of the machines is dialing
> the mail server every five minutes but when we checked
> Outlook express all were set to dial every 20, 30 or
> 60 minutes and we switch off all machines at night.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes.  It's Outlook Excess.  You'll probably find that it's virus-ridden, and
will require disinfection (or deletion).  Remember - ALL the Windoze "virus
scanners" are useless - they're all reactive, so if you get infected with
anything newish, they'll miss it.

Your best bet, if you're compelled to use Windoze, is to install a third-party
mail client - Eudora is probably the best one.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk