[Gllug] Info

Mot ngbox at btopenworld.com
Mon Oct 27 23:47:37 UTC 2003

> Many of us here have experience installing Debian.

> What problems are you having?

Well... I believe it's a a matter of configuration: I run Knoppix on my
system, and normally manage to browse my HDDs.

Knoppix is quite good for what it is, it can guess the system hardware
fairly well, but there must obviously be a setup script that allows this,
because when I decided to install a Debian from CD ( generated by image file
debian-30r1-i386-binary-1_NONUS.iso ) I haven't been that "lucky" to make it
work properly.

The system asked me so many questions to which I answered to the best of my
knowledge (and with some guessing, I admit), and it finally worked fine as a
terminal (prompt style, not graphic). I can easily navigate the /hda1 with
some Unix commands that I still remember from many years ago when I used to
work on Idris, but cannot do much without a graphic desktop or a tutorial
book.

The problems that I face with Knoppix are the modem configuration (Alcatel
Speed Touch USB), and audio (no sound), but at least video, mouse and
keyboard work fine.
The system, when running under Knoppix, can clearly see the USB modem (and
it can see my scanner and webcam too, both USB) but cannot link it to the
internet applications. In other words, I am unable to create a connection -
nor I tried to build one under Knoppix, as this would presumably involve the
installation of a driver and perhaps the creation of a batch file (script)
to mount it automatically.

Plus, as in the hundreds of internet pages that I read so far, I noticed
that many people have problems in configuring a USB modem, whereas very few
have problems with ethernet ones, I now bought a Netgear DM602, but I still
have to test it under Windows to make sure that it works, before I spend any
time trying to configure it on Linux.

So, Jason, as you can see there is plenty of work ahead, but I am determined
in make my machine work under Linux, I have ambitious projects :-)

A this stage, given that there will be an installation fest on Saturday, I
believe that the wise thing to do is testing the ethernet modem and see if I
can go and see an installation "live" (or perhaps take my machine along).

In the mean time I will keep trying and reading to see if I can manage to
obtain a desktop view, any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Will the meeting definately take place on Saturday between 12.00 and 17.00?

Thank you for yourtime and effort, and sorry for writing such a long
message.

Raul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk