[Gllug] Samba testimonials

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 00:58:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 03:05, Garry Heaton wrote:
> By crikey that's some uptime. It's survived 2 world wars! :-)
>
> What were the most noticeable improvements?

When I was using pre v2 releases, it was just for odds and ends -
sharing an HTML document tree on the then webserver, that sort of thing.
Always worked fine.

With version 2, I used Samba to replace a Novell server, and at that
stage it took over the main file and print services for the
organisation, though I did have an NT PDC. Samba v2 supported proper
domain membership, and encrypted passwords, which made all that
workable.

Biggest change since then was the spoolss code in 2.2, which meant I
could install printer drivers centrally, rather than on every machine,
which we'd done before.

Now Samba 3 is out, the NT PDC is about to be retired. I'd tested domain
migration with 2.2, but it wasn't possibly transparently enough - now it
is.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk