[Gllug] patents: Giving up meat

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Oct 27 10:16:08 UTC 2003

Dylan writes:

>I think you are misdirecting this - since your website itself disempowers
>your users by requiring them to use Windows. Particularly - a proprietry
>viewer which is only available for said OS.

Not actually true[1]. SVG is an open, documented format, and is
supported under Linux by Sodipodi (and even recent versions of GIMP,
IIRC). These of course rely on the browser calling an external viewer,
and since they're both imaging programs, you'll lose any interactive
elements and DOM integration. If you want it displayed within the
browser, then you can either use the Adobe plugin (which is available
for Linux, although sadly Intel only), or an alternative option is to
use one of the Mozilla SVG builds:

	http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/

I haven't tried them recently, so I don't know how they compare to the
mainstream Mozilla builds, but hopefully, the changes will get rolled
into trunk sooner rather than later...

The W3C have a list of SVG implementations:

	http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/SVG-Implementations.htm8

Incidentally, though, I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the site
is. After all, if the intended users are so illiterate that they need
the entire site to be SVG imagery rather than text, then how are they
ever going to enter a URL to get there in the first place? Or even
select it from a predefined bookmark?

Tet

[1] Although the choice of Word format for the worksheets is somewhat
    unwise...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk