[Gllug] What's so good about Debian?

mimo mimo at restoel.net
Thu Oct 9 15:35:39 UTC 2003

Xander D Harkness wrote:

> Not to start a flame war - just an question to allow me to learn more
> about apt and dpkg. (Though I am sure some interesting FWs have
> started with a small question :-)
>
> What advantage does apt have in terms of dependancy resolution over
> rpm --aid or apt, or yum or even up2date which supports RHN, apt and yum.

I have used RedHat (first) and Debian (now and for the rest of my life).
One point with RH was when I tried to gradually upgrade my 6.2. First
there were problems updating rpm itself because it wouldnt allow to
install packages anymore. Then I couldn't update to glibc-2.1 (just a
housenumber), finally found a complicated how-to and finally ended with
broken libraries to libc (argh!). I mended it again but never managed to
upgrade this way. So I decided to give debian a try. In terms of package
management I started with frontend dselect and now aptitude - because
it's nicer. One thing you can do with aptitude is simulate what you are
going to install (which packages) - see what packages will need
upgrading, which dependencies will break and so on and this in quite
complex ways. Maybe you can do this in rpm too - I dont know. But can
you also select/change the version of an installed package? I know
people who run redhat but use apt for packages as you can convert deb to
rpm (and the other way). Finally, I tried a libc upgrade and it just did
it....

wanted to write a short message... now it's a testimony.

Michael

--
Please note that this account is being filtered using anti UCE systems. If you send email to this account make sure that it could not be mistaken as UCE.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk