[Gllug] Debian

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 09:07:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Peter Rutherford wrote:
>
> > "Start here" notice.
>
> Why should there be such a notice? Why not just insert the CD and boot
> your PC or just read the file named README - that's a fairly big clue!
>
> > If the Linux fraternity want to frighten the Beast of
> > Redmond,
> > then this will not happen until Linux distributions
> > have one
> > of those reassuring setup.exe icons, with an
> > instruction to
> > click on it and go to the toilet or go out to buy a
> > celebratory
> > danish (or even a norwegian) pastry.
>
> It's not a Windows program. Why should it include Windows executables?
>
> Such an approach was taken a long time ago ut it wasn't very popular.

	Hmm yes but maybe a autostart option on cds would not go too far
away. Make it platform indepedant and we would be sailing. It seams that
this is one of the few places that windows may have got somthing right.
	Its just a shame that since there are not proper scripting
languages on windows or methods to say what to use on windows any method
we chose can never work for a windows users. Which is why most cd have a
setup.exe not a setup.py (python) or setup.pl (perl) or just setup.
	Start the file #!whatever and so long and the machine understands
whatever we are sailing.

	I think autorun.inf is the place to look and I believe kde already
reads it.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk