[Gllug] Oracle and Linux

Pete Ryland pdr at accucard.com
Mon Oct 27 12:06:52 UTC 2003

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 09:52:10AM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> At 23:42 24/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:
> >Much as I like Debian I wouldn't use it as a base for Oracle. Oracle
> >only support the "Enterprise" versions of Linux,
>
> Which is ironic really.  One company hired us to sort out their internal
> systems, they develop a product based on Oracle.  We found that Oracle
> running on Debian was vastly more stable that Oracle running on a
> "supported" platform.

Wow!  I'm amazed that you got it to work.  Last time I tried installing
Oracle on Debian, it required so much "tweaking" of the system that you'd be
hard pressed to still call it Debian.  Whereas (following all the rules)
Oracle just worked on Redhat without any problems.

But...

That install was for a benchmark between Oracle, Postgresql and Mysql.
Postgresql and Mysql came out pretty close, but Oracle was around 10 to 20
times slower on all tests.  Obviously this sluggishness pays for a veritable
plethora of advanced features that Oracle supports, like data partitioning
and tried-and-tested replication.  Anyway, all I'm saying is don't just use
Oracle because it's Oracle - at least evaluate the alternatives as they may
better meet your needs.

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk