[Gllug] processor problem

david.crossland at talk21.com david.crossland at talk21.com
Wed Oct 15 10:36:36 UTC 2003

Thanks for your replies, sorry i hav'nt responded quickly (i am in digest mode and have no net connection at home :( )

I have tried other distributions that previouly installed with success, this is a recent error that i don't think is down to linux itself.  As i mentioned i have errors with window also that have never occured before in my computers lifetime (nearly 4yrs), usually they occur during program installation. I eliminated the hard drive as a problem by swapping it with a friends that i knew worked.  I have a restore cd that reverts my windows to factory settings...

I turned of all power saving functions as suggested and the problem continued.  I knew of the no-hlt parameter and i have successfully booted linux using it.  However why should i have to use it now when never before?

The processor has suffered a couple of overheats in it's time, once when i forgot to plug the fan back in after cleaning and recently after cleaning had been neglected for a while.  Could this have led to the processor malfunctioning? is there some way i could test this for certain?

Thanks for your help
David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk