[Gllug] re: balance of power, Unions vs Employer

abower at thebowery.co.uk abower at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 23:49:34 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:22:21AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>    I have a lot of sympathy for the small business entrepreneur who
> struggles to get a company running, often risking everything he has in the
> process, and ends up working long hours, spending most of his time finding
> work for reluctant employees and servicing the inland revenue, social
> services, health and safety, etc, etc.

These ones usually have interesting work and usually have work for you to do,
or at least some interesting clients or something interesting going on.

>    On the other hand, some employers just try to extract every last drop of
> blood, sweat, and tears, at the minimum possible cost. This happens too
> often after a company has been sold, when the new owner is only interested
> in a company as an investment.

These ones in my experience want you to work all hours but not actually deliver
anything because they don't know what they are actually trying to achieve
(other than vast amounts of dosh) or realise that sometimes you have to take a
few risks to get there. I got badly burnt by an employer like this who always
paid everyone late, expenses a month late and also then decided that they
didn't think paying me for 4 weeks work was a good idea, they finally went
bankrupt while the inland revenue were investigating them but what is a real
shame was that the guys running the company didn't end up at HMP because they
ripped of employees, the tax man, their customers and probably their grannies :(

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk