[Gllug] BBC on Microsoft DRM in new Outlook

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Oct 21 09:43:19 UTC 2003

On Tue 21 Oct Jason Clifford wrote:
> According to the earlier BBC article:

> "Destroying the e-mails completely would create legal trouble, because in
> the United States deleting e-mails is a federal offence, regarded in a
> similar light to shredding documents.
>
> Earlier this year, brokers Morgan Stanley were fined $1.65m for failing to
> keep e-mail records."
>
> This would seem to indicate that if MS are doing as you suggest they could
> be digging a tunnel into prison for some of their execs. Then again
> they've already bought off the US govt once already during the current
> term so perhaps they'll stay bought.

Poorly phrased by the journalist I think.

In the US, brokers (like Morgan Stanley) are required to keep
deal-related correspondence for 2 years.

I don't believe there are any laws requiring the preservation of general
correspondence.

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF