[Gllug] Newcomer

Harry Mantheakis harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 10:39:23 UTC 2003

> Can I suggest that there are better / easier / faster ways to create
> dynamic content than with Java. In fact, although this will doubtless
> be a controversial view, my experience generating websites with Java
> at my previous job was thoroughly negative. I couldn't believe how
> slow and bloated and difficult to use the environment was.

This is a 'big' topic indeed :-)

I have no knowledge of Perl or PHP, whilst I do have a reasonable grasp of
Java.

I am planning to build an application, not a website as such. In fact, after
logging in, the thing will behave much as traditional desktop application
would. I am relying on broadband speeds to make it feel almost as fast as a
fat client app.

There is a lot of proprietary business logic to implement (in the proverbial
middle-ware) and I find Java and its OO features great for managing
complexity.

Yes, things do become bloated, but I see that as the price to pay for
working with something that can scale without you risking your sanity. (In
the J2EE arena, only .NET competes.)

Java is also a big toolkit. I can code stuff for PDAs and mobile phones (to
access the same information) using the same language (different APIs of
course) and it all plugs in.

It is not easy, it does get bloated, and perhaps it could be done with Perl
or PHP, but it is what I know, and I think it will do the job.

I am sorry that you had such a negative experience of Java - it is a huge
language, and some of the OO aspects take a little time to fathom. I teach
Java, and I know how tricky it can be even for experienced programmers (as
most of my students are).

Once the OO aspects start to sink in - namely how to work with interfaces,
and how to use object references - coding in Java becomes pretty addictive.

Kind regards

Harry Mantheakis

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk