[Gllug] Debian

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 21:01:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 12:12, David Damerell wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 Oct 2003, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> >Well, it depends on what WM you plug into Gnome. As time has passed,
> >Gnome has emphasized a window manager with very little functionality,
> >and those things are not nearly as "close to the surface" as they used
> >to be.
>
> So it seems to me your real complaint is that Gnome's default window
> manager is not a good one.

It was never really a big complaint - I was responding to a question
asked about perceived problems with Gnome, with specific reference to
"going out of our way to facilitate the errors of other platforms".

IMO, a bad default WM and a set of defaults that hide useful
functionality in order to make the environment more familiar to Windows
escapees is a perfect example of exactly that.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk