[Gllug] re; creating dynamic web content

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 10:33:43 UTC 2003

I imagine you can create dynamic web pages with pretty well any language you
like.  I have never tried using Java - just one look at it frightened me to
death ( I am afraid that with my failing memory there is just too much stuff
to remeber with Java .  I may be wrong, but I understand that Java is usually
interpreted, which generally makes for gobbling-up CPU like mad.

Being a complete heretic (in relation to the latest Computer Language religion)
I stick to Cobol for pretty well everything, including creation of dynamic
web pages (using a sort of template system), with some 'C' thrown in for the
things that Cobol cannot do either at all or only inefficiently.  At least that
way I only need to be 'bi-lingual' (although I wouldn't like to claim to be
fluent !).

Incidentally the 'cgi' approach I use is to have a main 'C' cgi program which
parses the form request and then throws line-feed delimited 'pairs' of data
(element ref and entered-data) at a Cobol program over an internal TCP socket
which does the real work. This approach seems to work nicely and allows the
'real' work to be done on another CPU/machine.  Of course, the program doing
the real work can be written in ANY language - all the program has to be able
to do is read and write to 'stdin/out' (Cookies are handled as well without
the program have to do anything particularly fancy).

The 'contact us' page on our web-site actually front-ends a very simple Cobol
program.

If anyone is interested in the 'C' source to look at/ hack, please feel free
to contact me.

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk