[Gllug] Laptops?

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Thu Oct 30 12:16:11 UTC 2003

> I thought the sole reason for the POWER4 and 5 was the mainframe
> market. Who else installs water-cooled multi-chip-modules with 16 or 32
> CPU's on?

Neither are water-cooled. The POWER4 isn't nesseccarily on MCMs, only in
the p670 and p690 and they have four chips per MCM. They are cooled by 2
pairs of 300W fans (max 1000W cooling power).
The mainframe CEC (central electronics complex) is cooled by two freon
refridgiation(sp?) units at the top with massive 4" hoses. If you have
access to a mainframe, open the front door of the main rack and look at
the top. It's mighty impressive.

I just found this link:
http://www.apple.com/g5processor/

At the bottom left under "Award-winning logic" it says that the G5 (not
G4) uses the processor core from the POWER4.
I know the mainframe has compatibility issues with 24 bit, 31 bit and now
64 bit programmes. Even new mainframes has to be able to switch to these
modes which I doubt a POWER4 can do.

Cheers
Henrik Morsing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk