[Gllug] this week's windows hole

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 22:10:40 UTC 2003

Browsing the /. comments on the latest M$ feature, I came across the link below.

Sophos is claiming lots of Linux worms & virii, I wondered how many of
them were real, what infection rates had been observed, etc. The big point
being the difference between: they exist and they have done real damage[**].

So from what *you* have direct experience:

1) How many of these are real -- ie actually seen ``in the wild'' ?

2) How many of these have caused real damage, and to how many systems ?

Being a cynical sod I realise that sophos have a living to make by worrying
IT managers that are continually plagued by damage to M$ systems, and so they
unrealistically play these concerns up.

Possibly tellingly I notice that in the descriptions of the Linux exploits
they generally say 'XXX will attempt to YYYYYY', or 'XXX is a worm which tries to exploit YYYYY',
whereas the M$ ones are 'XXX does YYYYY'. Also most of the Linux ones seem
to be the same few just with different names.

[**] I don't count sacrificial/test systems as real damage.

	http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/index_linuxworm.html
and
	http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/index_linux.html

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk