[Gllug] OT: Windows XP refuses internet access

Garry Heaton none at none.com
Fri Sep 19 21:50:42 UTC 2003

Dylan wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Many apologies for the offesnsive mail, but I find nowhere else to turn...
>
> I have brought my Mother's box running Windoze XP to my house so I can use my
> ADSL to do the (rather necessary) update. I have reconfigured the network
> settings so that it connects through my gateway, and can ping the outside
> world (tried www.bbc.co.uk).
>
> When I open IE and try to connect it says: "Forbidden. Access denied by access
> control list". Now, I'm pleased to say that I'm a bit adrift when it comes to
> XP, so what's going on? She usually uses a dialup, if that might be anything
> to do with it...
>
> Obviously, I want to try and get her as secure as possible..
>
> TIA for any help
>
> Dylan

If you have a LAN and a dial-up connection under "Network Connections" make
sure the dial-up isn't still marked as the default. You'll also need to
reboot the beast after a network config change. Sometimes simply disabling
and re-enabling the adapter will work. Other times not.

Are you using Internet Connection Sharing or a router?

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk