[Gllug] re: premium-rate dialups

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 07:04:55 UTC 2004

Personally I think the whole premium-rate system is something we could largely
do without.  Certainly, my life hasn't been 'enriched' by their use.

Seems to me they are largely used as a means of screwing the gullible.

For example:
Is the Capital of France either:
a) Berlin
b) Paris
c) Brussels
Phone a premium rate number (for over a quid) and if you get it right (very
difficult) your enter a draw for a prize.

I wonder how many people enter and how much profit the likes of GMTV make out
of these 'competitions'.  Presumably, the competition element is to get around
Gaming laws (if they still exist !).

I know it smacks of 'big brother' in a so-called free society, but since the
Government insists on regulating many aspects of our lives that we don't want
regulated, maybe they should consider at least properly regulating these
things properly.

Tim

This E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk