[Gllug] natwest fantasticness

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 21:14:10 UTC 2004

Richard Jones wrote:

>I should _hope_ that Natwest works with Mozilla.  Considering all the
>horrible unpatched flaws in IE and Windows, there's no possible way
>they can any more claim that IE is "more secure".
>
>For the record, the Halifax banking service works with just about
>everything I've thrown at it.  Although the website looks like it was
>put together by colour-blind monkeys doing an introductory web-design
>class.  Goodness only knows what the security behind the thing is
>like.
>
>Rich.

    Computer security is always a bit of a joke anyway. Any on-line
banking is only has secure as the weakest link. Usally the password
belonging to the person who uses a simple password like their first name
and then writes it down just to make sure its public knowledge.
    Its like this new Chip and Pin. If thats more secure than a personal
thing like a signiture then I'm not a computer programmer. In this age
where we think seriously of using a 128 bit encription the creditcard
company go and use a 10bit key! Rather than a much large key that they
were using before ie somones signiture. True passwords are not much
stronger than a pin but they are usally twice the length with twice the
number of different letters.
    Sorry for stating my opions but the adverts were beginning to get on
my nerves.

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk