[Gllug] Writing C

Nordlund, Niko Niko.Nordlund at storaenso.com
Tue Aug 17 09:35:41 UTC 2004

Dear all,

I have been considering converting from Mickey Mouse products to Linux for
the past six months. The problem being that I am working for a company where
no-one else has even heard of something that could replace MickeySoft. All
our desktops and servers are running W. Furthermore, all of our applications
are Windows, Windows-SQL and VB based. In short, I need to get a rather good
idea what Linux programs would suit our purposes before I could start
convincing other people that Linux is a viable option for us.

I have been doing a bit of reading and there seems to be a wealth of
programs available for our purposes. My problem is finding the right ones. I
would need your advice on what programs I should invest my time in. Please
remember that I am very new to Linux and have rather basic knowledge of
computers in general.

SQL. I would need a SQL database engine that is, stable, can handle large
databases (> 2GB), easily extendible with own functions (at least postgreSQL
supports dynamic loading of functions written in c)

Graphical interface for developing and administering the SQL database.

C. As indicated above I would need to do a bit of C coding to get my
functions available within SQL. I have some experience in using VB, but I
would like to move over to C. Any suggestions which editor and compiler
would be easy to learn? Preferably a nice GUI. I would also need to pass
data to and from a database. Also, recommendations on what C-books to read
are welcome.

Intranet tools to SQL. We are, at the moment, using VB to pass info between
our intranet pages and SQL. What would be the easiest Open Source way of
doing this?

VNC. I would like to give a "thin client" a go. Obviously on local network
we have enough capacity to run X window, but going to another continent
would need something else. My issue relates to user authentication in VNC.
Then there is the question of how to do this in a secure fashion.

A *big thanks* to everyone who bothers to answer!

Best regards,
Niko Nordlund

niko.nordlund at storaenso.com

DISCLAIMER This message is intended only for the use of the person(s)to whom
it is addressed ("intended recipient".) It may contain information which is
privileged and confidential. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution,
copying or other use of this message or any of its content by any person
other than the Intended Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or
criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
Recipient please contact the sender as soon as possible.