[Gllug] Gnome Vs Kde Vs

Amias Channer gllug at amias.org.uk
Thu Aug 26 12:58:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:20:26 +0100
Richard Huxton <dev at archonet.com> wrote:

> Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 05:05:42AM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> >
> >>   Gnome unlike KDE is a lose collection of programs that "work
> >>together" giving each application the freedom to use want they need
> >to >get the job done, its a communication infastructor. from the
> >developer >point of view.
> >

> > I never quite worked out what this communication infrastructure is
> > all about anyway.  As a happy user of wmx + xterms, I seem to get
> > away without it ...
>
> I must admit, since I stopped using the KDE apps, there's not much
> there to grab you. If you use kmail+kdepim+kate+konqueror then it's
> great, but if not you start wondering what it does for you.

remember that its important to learn and use the tools that others whom
you support will use so you can help support them . Whilst xterms and
screen are undeniably powerfull they are not much use for the
word-processing , photo manipulating majority , who are valuable
users and testers for the open source community and one less for
the closed source 'community'

As a gnome user i'd say i use it for pretty window management (for
xterms) and softer looking fonts more than any of the other bits .
KDEhas always felt a bit too noisy for my liking .
Its a very good thing we can make the choice though .

I'd like to see even more integration between the two projects and the
development of more standards and parallels. I wonder how well a super-api
that handled abstractions to either environment would go down , it would
be a great thing in my book.

Toodle-pip
Amias
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk