[Gllug] DVD-RAM on Linux

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Tue Aug 10 17:59:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, John Winters wrote:

> I can get so far - "fdisk /dev/hdc" allows me to partition the drive,
> but when I try "mke2fs /dev/hdc1" I get a "no such device" error.
> Trouble is, I can't find any documentation on how one is meant to drive
> a DVD-RAM device.  All my web searches throw up are really ancient pages
> telling you how to patch your 2.2.x kernel for DVD-RAM support.  I'm
> running 2.4.26 (the machine is a fresh install of Sarge using the RC1
> installer - I thought I'd do my bit at testing it).
>
> Can anyone give any guidance on how one is meant to use a DVD-RAM
> device, or point me at any relevant documentation?

Yes, I don't know if you can partition it but normally you use th eUDF
file system on it. You need to enable this in the kernel.
I don't know if Linux can actually format a UDF drive but it's probabaly
already formatted (unless you're partitioning broke it) so you should just
be able to mount it as type UDF.

Cheers
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk