[Gllug] Sun hardware/firewall memory

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Dec 21 19:03:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 06:52:19PM +0000, Robert wrote:
> AFAIK, there are basically 2 types of multi-tasking: pre-emeptive and
> co-operative.  I think (in basic terms), in prememptive, the system
> interrupts the task after a given time slice and then uses a scheduling
> scheme to decide which task gets the next time slice (2 main versions of
> that: highest accumulated priority and round-robin); whereas in cooperative
> the system gives control over to a task and its upto that task to
> relinquish control back to the system which will then decide which task to
> [continue to] run.

Essentially, yes.

> The biggest problem with co-operative is that a task can hog the processor
> and/or if it crashes the system could go belly up.
>
> AFAIK, *nix uses pre-emptive whereas Windows uses co-operative.

Windows 3.x used co-operative multitasking.  The 9x and NT lines use
preemptive.

Interestingly (or not) MacOS used co-operative multitasking right up to
the introduction of OSX.  So the UI may have been superior but the
internals were dedidedly hokey and lagging far behind the capabilities
of the hardware it ran on.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.