[Gllug] ``Confidential`` .sigs

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Dec 6 14:33:59 UTC 2004

"t.clarke" writes:

>I still subscribe to the view that Companies should not be obliged to protect
>people from their own stupidity.  I note now that transformer substations now
>say 'danger of death' rather than in the old days 'danger - high voltage'  -
>are people now so ill-educated that they do not know high voltage can kill

Whether they're that ignorant or not (and I suspect most probably are),
should it be the duty of the company to protect them from their ignorance?
I'd say no. This is one of the appeals of moving to Scandinavia. Standing
on the quayside next to a frozen lake, I was struck by the lack of barriers
to prevent people falling in and killing themselves in the icy water. Sadly,
it's hard to find that sort of reliance on common sense in the UK these days.

Tet

PS. Interestingly, a colleague of mine from across the pond feels the same
    way about the UK -- we're apparently much better in that regard than
    Canada (which in turn is in a different league to the USA).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk