[Gllug] Transparent Terminal

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Dec 7 23:19:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004, Tethys uttered the following:
> Nix writes:
>
>>I've ditched the session manager [...] I'm still using fvwm:
>>everything works as long as you use fvwm-2.5.x, which supports
>>the extended window-manager hints spec used by KDE and GNOME
>
> So if you've ditched the session manager,

Well, it's still *running*; it's just not doing anything. (Taking it
out entirely is rather a lot harder, because lots of things talk to
it: it has to be there to say `yea', even if it's just forgetting
everything they say to it.)

>                                           and aren't using kwm, then
> which parts of KDE are you actually using? Just the panel (in which
> case, you could do it all natively in fvwm anyway)? Maybe a file
> manager?

Quite a list:

The panel (three panels, two autohidden, and a `universal sidebar' ---
read `konqueror sidebar' so Konq on common places is really fast to
start even if the desktop is covered, as for me it always is) and a
large heap of panel applets; konqueror (possibly in place of Moz/Galeon
when a certain rendering bug is fixed); kword for reading the few word
docs I have to read in place of the monster which is OpenOffice; the
desktop sharer (read `nifty VNC frontend') and cheapo weird ad-hoc file
exporting system (it works over SSH tunnels ;} ), Kaffeine, the Xine
reimplementation; kbiff; kdiff3 (lovely!); kcachegrind (lovelier, and
nothing else like it); looking at Umbrello (a UML modeller) and
kpovmodeler. And scads of Konsoles, of course.

I'm running enough KDE stuff that I think I can be said to be running a
KDE desktop, even if I still spend most of my time in Emacs and
Galeon. (Quite a change from two weeks ago, when I had no KDE stuff on
my box at all because of aesthetic dislike for `moc'. I still dislike
moc, but am willing to overlook its ugliness in the light of the rest of
KDE's greater elegance.)

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk