[Gllug] NFS mount problem

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Dec 5 12:03:33 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Adrian McMenamin moaned:
> I am trying to mount an NFS volume from a 2.6.9 box to a 2.4.20 box. The share
> mounts but then hangs when there is much traffic.
>
> I beleive there is a version difference between the nfs server and client
> (2.6.8 runs nfs v4, while the client will be nfs v2 - is that right?).
>
> Is there anything special I need to know as a result of this version
> difference?

NFSv4 is *not* compatible with v3 or any lower protocol: it's quite different
(not just because of the global namespace rooted at /nfs, either).

That's why 2.6.x supports running NFSv3 and v4 servers at the same time.

(2.4.20 supports v3 well; I've been running it for years.)

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk