[Gllug] Sun hardware/firewall memory

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Dec 22 15:17:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 01:41:18PM +0000, Ben wrote:
> And don't forget RSC! With all these silly little variants coming from
> one company it's know wonder disparate x86 vendors are taking time to
> converge on a standard. Still, standards do emerge - let's hope x86
> delivers a good headless BIOS.

I see this as unlikely.  The PC market is a commodity one, so the large
size of the home/work desktop market has a distorting effect.  PC server
manufacturers make tiny margins and don't have much room for serious
improvements to the standard.  Where they do, they use it to
differentiate their products and do not share the technology to enable
it to become a standard.

> If it did, would you accept that x86
> offers strong competition to SUN in other hardware areas

Better headless support would still leave it with inferior architecture
in other areas: I/O, for instance.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.