[Gllug] Recommended distro

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Tue Dec 14 10:28:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:08:26 +0000
Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

> I don't know about a tutorial, but these are most of the commands
> you'll ever need, for apt and dpkg usage:
>

>   dpkg -S <filename>
>     - find out which package claims to own the named file

Now that one I just could not find. Thanks.

But how do you work out what a packages dependencies are? In rpm you can do:

rpm -qp --requires somelib-1.1-1.i386.rpm

libfoo.so
libblah.so.1
spam >= 1.33

And you can do the reverse:

rpm -q --whatrequires libfoo.so

somelib-1.1-1

I can't work out how to do that in dpkg.

Thanks,
Huw

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk