[Gllug] ``Confidential'' .sigs [Was: hosts.conf/nsswitch.conf

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sat Dec 4 09:11:50 UTC 2004

Matthew King wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 09:23 +0000, Doug Winter wrote:
>
>>I'd say it's both - but abuse is certainly called for in some
>>situations.  You can't expect to break social rules and get no response
>>at all.  Sending out-of-office autoreplies in response to list posts is
>>very bad form indeed, and completely unnecessary.
>
> But rather difficult to deal with when one is, as the message states,
> Out of the Office.

All vacation software I've ever come across (bar one) doesn't send
out-of-office autoreplies to email with a "Precedence" header of "bulk"
or "list".  All mailing list software, pretty much, sets the Precedence
header to one of these values.  This is a trivial way of avoiding
unwanted out-of-office autoreplies.

The exception is, obviously, Microsoft Exchange 5.5 (I don't know about
later versions), which threw away the rule book and implemented a heap
of steaming crap instead.

Don't use the out of office assistant on Exchange 5.5 if you are
subscribed to mailing lists.  In fact, don't use Outlook or Exchange if
you are subscribed to mailing lists - the number of infractions of
simple rules for lists that it perpetrates is shocking.  Be a good
citizen and use software that plays nicely.

> People (in general - nothing specifically to do with the post to which
> I'm replying, rather in response to this entire sorry thread) should try
> being less highly strung.

This list is pretty good, largely I suspect because people don't use
exchange much.  Try posting to SUNMANAGERS sometime, and then wading
through the 200 autoreplies you get, and see how you feel about it then.

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk