[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Feb 11 13:59:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 01:41:09PM +0000, Doug wrote:
> I could really have used the technique for authorising addresses that
> exim provides the other week, because one of our domains was used in a
> joe job, and there wasn't much I could do about it - because my relays
> had no idea what real addresses were.

What do you run on your relays?  If Exim4 then rush to implement smtp
callout (first making sure that Exchange does reject invalid mail).  If
not, consider LDAP.

Some people have expressed concerns about possible latency with smtp
callout but it caches the lookup results (with tunable expiry times on
cache records).

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.