TMDA Re: [Gllug] New worm doing the rounds?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Feb 17 17:17:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:03:52PM +0000, David wrote:
> On Monday, 16 Feb 2004, Peter Childs wrote:
> >    My instant response to the SPF and other challenage response methods
> >was "That will never work!" woth out even looking any further.
>
> SPF is not a challenge-response method.
>
> SPF does have a number of dangerous deficiencies, but at least it
> passes the most basic tests; it admits of gradual adoption (failed by
> Microsoft's computational challenge) and does not require fiddly
> end-user operations (failed by most current challenge-response
> schemes).

I'm not a great fan of SPF's particular implementation but I think it is
the right kind of solution in general: an architectural solution that
uses simple extensions to current working practice without the need for
adoption of additional technology.

You just know that MS will want to find a user-space solution that
requires everybody to use their software.

--
Bruce

I am now a little wary of bananas.