[Gllug] Undelete...?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Feb 5 14:30:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Kristian Davies wrote:

> I had a directory with a couple of files starting with "?blah"
> So like a Burk I deleted them with "rm -fr ?*" ... Don't laugh!
>
> Well anyway, in that directory was a script I use all the time, which I
> would rather no rewrite.
>
> Is there a way of getting my file back?
>
> I realise this is a total newb question, but I find it hard to believe there
> is no way of recovering a file which has not been overwritten.

That's because you are not thinking of your PC as a multi-user system.

True multi-user multitasking systems don't really do undelete as it cannot
be reliable with lots of users/processes able to write to the disk.

If you are lucky the data will still be on the disk and wont have been
overwritten. If that's the case you can remount the device read only and
try some of the methods listed in the Undelete howtos - generally using
the debugfs tool.

Note that these probably wont work on a journaling filesystem like ext3
however if you have ext3 you can mount it as ext2 which *might* work.

If you are particularly desperate you can open the filesystem as a file
and search for some identifying text. A small script may be located solely
in a single inode in which case you'll be able to copy and paste to
recover it.

Larger files will almost certainly be spread across the disk making it far
more challenging to recover them.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk