[Gllug] Hardware IDE RAID

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 17:07:29 UTC 2004

Simon Faulkner wrote:

>> If you have a look at the software RAID howto it says that each drive
>> should be on a separate controller as one failing can kill the
>> other.....
>

> Oh yes.
>
>> The CD will slow one of the drives down, the only way round that is
>> to buy a PCI IDE controller - or live with it.
>

> Just found one :-)
>

> What hardware RAID card would you use given a choice?

I have been running hardware and software raid for a few years and
always found mylex raid controllers very good.  These are quite pricy
for domestic use.

On the software RAID front I have used any PCI IDE adapter I ould find
and they have worked very well.  The only hiccough I have found is that
the PCI IDE controllers have a tendency to swap drives around.  So when
you install a kernel it will install it to what it sees as /dev/hda yet
/dev/hda is actually /dev/hdg during boot :-)  It is really very good
method to learn the grub command prompt :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk