[Gllug] 2.6: does it break anything?

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 15:26:27 UTC 2004

Jon Masters wrote:

> John Hearns wrote:
>
> | Mind you - I haven't actually done any LVM1 to LVM2 conversion,
> | and certainly would back up first!

I spoke to one of the developers yesterday who said that if you have a
LVM1 partition and use LVM2 then it will happily talk to the partition
and use it.

The meta-data is in a different format and hence if you start off with
LVM2 then it will use the new format which cannot be read by an LVM1 system.

> I am getting ready to shit myself when I try that on our production
> systems because I am pretty sure something will break. :-).

I understand that a couple of the developers will be at the Oxford LUG,
when Tim O'Reilly is there in a few weeks.  I think that this is prior
to FOSDEM and a good chance to chat about new developments in LVM and
software RAID.

Kind regards
Xander
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk