[Gllug] Re: Ogle DVD

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 21:06:20 UTC 2004

Ian Norton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:12:25AM +0000, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>
> you might want to give gmplayer a go, it is a fairly good gui for mplayer,
> allows easy configuration of stuff like frame dropping if you find that it lags
> somtimes
>
> on my celeron 400 laptop (running gnome so 95% ram used) mplayer + gmplayer
> seem to easily play any dvd i have and the vast majority of my mpegs and divx.
> ogle uses libxine afaik so they in thoery xine and ogle should play the
> same stuff, its just a matter of how you tell it to play them.

I've been playing with DVD players on my Dell Latitude CPt 600 (Celeron
600, 128MB, ATI Rage Mobility) running Debian Woody, using a legitimate
copy of "The Two Towers". I find:

Ogle: Works, but slow, video is jerky and sound lags. DVD menus work.

Xine: Refuses to play "encrypted/locked" DVDs at all. Apparantly The Two
Towers is locked in some way so it doesn't work;

Mplayer: Having installed the "gatos" drivers for the ATI card
(http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ati.2.php), and used hdparm to tweak the
DVD drive as per the recommendations in the mplayer docs, it works
excellently, with the "xv" video driver. But there is no access to the
DVD menus AFAICS.

Does anyone know how to combine the excellent performance of mplayer
with the functionality of ogle?

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk