[Gllug] Anyone using Linux 2.6.0 on production system?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Jan 9 10:55:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> > The exploit was across all 2.2+ kernels as you state above so this isn't
> > overly convincing as a reason to avoid one branch.
>
> It's a reason to avoid bleeding edge kernels on production systems.  New
> problems will always be found until you get to the kind of testing
> record that 2.0 has.  It's risk management and I considered using later
> edition 2.4 kernels to be an acceptable risk.

It could well be argued that 2.0.x has less eyes on it now than 2.4 and
soon 2.6 will have more on that too.

How many people are really running 2.0.x kernels now? How well do these
kernels support modern hardware (RAID controllers, SMP, USB, etc)?

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk