[Gllug] Discussion: Is Enterprise Linux a lock-in

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Jan 20 10:00:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Simon Morris wrote:

> Organisations are paying more and more for Linux as distributors demand a
> per seat cost and a service lock-in that withdraws support if the customer
> alters the source code
Eh? Is this true?
I thought the main constraint was not running a non-vendor supplied
kernel, as they then obviously couldn't agree to support it.
But I may be wrong.

> The magazine was Jan 2004 Information Age
I got the magazine, but haven't had time to read it.

My area of interest here is obviously cluster computing,
and I initiated wuite a big debate on this on the Beowulf list at
the time of the introduction of Fedora.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk