[Gllug] CD Rom Writing

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 20:46:30 UTC 2004

    I'm trying to get cd-rom wring working on a Linux Box. Its  got a
little trikky and none of the docs are any use. grone...

The DVD-RW drive is the only ide device on the machine (well not 100%
true but the hard drives are on a 3ware card that looks like scsi)

Its running Debian unstable.

DVD drive comes up only once I do a modprobe ide-detect depending on
wether debian is doing it automatially or not.... but as a ide device
not a scsi-ide device. I've tried to tell ide-cd to ignore hda (where
the DVD driver comes up) but nothing happerns.

scsi-ide does load

Any ideas I do have some more details....

uname -a

Linux cobweb 2.4.22-1-686-smp #5 SMP Sat Oct 4 14:35:05 EST 2003 i686
GNU/Linux

The following information comes from dmesg...
scsi0 : Found a 3ware Storage Controller at 0xa800, IRQ: 72, P-chip: 1.3
scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi2 : Adaptec AIC79XX PCI-X SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 1.3.10
scsi3 : Adaptec AIC79XX PCI-X SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 1.3.10

    I'm wondering if its somthing to do with max luns or the fact I'm
only scaning the first scsi bus but how do I scan the rest.

oh and cdrecord --scanbus reads

Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) '3ware   ' 'Logical Disk 0  ' '1.0' Disk
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *