[Gllug] 2.6: does it break anything?

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Fri Jan 9 12:42:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> I believe that LVM-2 is incompatible with LVM-1 and there is no
> official upgrade process (yet). So you won't be able to upgrade
> any existing LVM partitions on your machine for now. I'm sure this
> situation will be resolved in the near future though since its
> a major PITA....

I believe this to be incorrect.
You use the 'vgconvert' utility to change from LVM1 to LVM2

The problem is that there is no path to change back - so once you start
with the 2.6 kernel you have to continue if using LVM.

Mind you - I haven't actually done any LVM1 to LVM2 conversion,
and certainly would back up first!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk